Pages

Where am I

I managed to slip over on 6-November-2015 and fracture the femoral head of my right hip. This blog is just to keep friends and relatives up-to-date with my recovery. It also will show where the NHS is good and where there is opportunity to improve. If you click the images tab (above) there are a few images of the break before and after the repair.

Update 10-June-2016 - sadly the femoral head has avascular necrosis and a total hip replacement will be carried out on 15-June-2016

I am home in Stoke Bruerne

Wednesday 25 November 2015

Day 20

Spent a bit of time yesterday planning my Saturday visit to Stoke Bruerne to help celebrate the 80th birthday of Sculptor. Sculptor is CRT's museum boat.  I had to get permission from the ward I am in and then arrange a special, wheelchair friendly, taxi.  What a palaver - I need to get back on my feet as soon as possible.

Still waiting to hear if I can 'toe touch' with my right foot. I find things like this, that seem to me to be so easy to find out, are terribly long winded and hide-bound in processes that are beyond my comprehension.  There's just no sense of urgency or understanding that, although I am technically a patient, I am in reality a customer of the NHS and as such should be treated as one. I have been paying my dues for as long as I can remember because I was obliged to and in the hope and expectation I wouldn't have to make use, in any serious way, of the facilities the NHS offer.  The reality now is that I am obliged to ask for assistance and I just think I should be treated more as a customer than a commodity.

09:00 - I believe the consultant (I believe he is a geriatric consultant - preposterous!) is visiting today - probably in about 30 mins (but who knows).  I do wish I had received more advance notice (well any notice as it was just dropped casually into the conversation). Also the discharge matron (Naomi Walters) is scheduled to come and see me tomorrow (Thursday) to discuss the things that haven't happened that I believe should have.

Three visits within a very short time this morning:
  • Physio - I can now partially weight bear - it is called 'toe-touching' which means I am now permitted to 'dot' my right toes on the ground as a balance aid when using the crutches and zimmer - it makes it all so much easier
  • Chiropodist - she's cut my toenails and given me a clean bill of health feet wise. Something I had planned to do anyway and it is reassuring to find my feet are in good order
  • Consultant - nothing much to report other than my Vitamin D levels are still very low and causing a bit of concern.  They will give me a booster of Vitamin D later this week (thankfully not by injection)
  • And I have a firm date and time for the Fracture Clinic - 14:30 on 14-December
A very pleasant, but brief, visit this afternoon from Roger H.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.