Where am I

I managed to slip over on 6-November-2015 and fracture the femoral head of my right hip. This blog is just to keep friends and relatives up-to-date with my recovery. It also will show where the NHS is good and where there is opportunity to improve. If you click the images tab (above) there are a few images of the break before and after the repair.

Update 10-June-2016 - sadly the femoral head has avascular necrosis and a total hip replacement will be carried out on 15-June-2016

I am home in Stoke Bruerne

Thursday, 12 November 2015

Day 7

Lots going on tonight in the wee small hours.  Everyone has to be 'turned' to stop pressure sores I understand.  Bit of a faff when you're comfortable and asleep but being in here one is likely not to have an urgent appointment first thing in the morning.

No crying out from the bay next door tonight which is a blessing; but the lady next door to me is complaining of an awful pain so the doctor is being summoned.

Oh dear I spoke too soon. The shouting and the screaming (which the staff say they can do nothing about) started at about 02:45 and continued until about 06:15.  It is very trying for everyone.

A busy morning this morning.  First it was can I wash and dress myself (well of course I can) but it is sobering to realise how limited one is after an injury.  I think it is quite clear that my Occupational Therapist doesn't understand Georgian designed houses and their stair wells - that's work in progress for me. No real news on what happens next or when I might be discharged.

Then an hour's session in the gym with the physiotherapists - I have always though that my dear Mum (who was a physio) was tough but not, it seems, as tough as the ladies I saw this morning. Lots of exercises to do which, however small they may seem, contribute to regaining my movement.

I am down for a Dexa scan either later today or tomorrow.  It is to do with bone density - there's concern about why my hip broke so easily and a Dexa scan will help determine that.

At 13:15 my charabang arrived (in reality a rather nice bed) and it was announced I was being wheeled off to Radiology for an X-Ray I assume to check the hip.  I lay outside Radiology for some time and even fell asleep.  After an interminable time I was taken in for my X-Ray and asked to confirm that I had had a recent replacement hip.  No I says a repaired hip. So I was wheeled out and back to the ward - just a magical mystery tour I think!  Sadly I had visitors but luckily didn't miss them.

A bit 'cross' this evening.  I still have to be wheeled to the loo; I asked 40 mins ago if I could go but the shift change has happened and there's no sign of the new shift.  I could press the call button but I think having asked once the 'service' should be delivered.  Likewise I am pushed to drink lots of fluid but my jug has been empty for two hours - again I could a press the call button but I think may be they should top up water as a matter of course.  May be they are just busy today. Still less water going in means less water going out!

No comments:

Post a comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.