Pages

Where am I

I managed to slip over on 6-November-2015 and fracture the femoral head of my right hip. This blog is just to keep friends and relatives up-to-date with my recovery. It also will show where the NHS is good and where there is opportunity to improve. If you click the images tab (above) there are a few images of the break before and after the repair.

Update 10-June-2016 - sadly the femoral head has avascular necrosis and a total hip replacement will be carried out on 15-June-2016

I am home in Stoke Bruerne

Saturday 21 November 2015

Day 16

A good night's sleep but in the 'midnight watches' I have been mulling over yesterday's happenings and I still don't feel the least bit comfortable about the way I have been treated.  From a clinical point-of-view the treatment has been outstanding but the standards outside of that have not been good.  To that end a friend has kindly e-mailed me overnight with a link to the NHS Your Care after discharge from hospital web page which makes interesting reading and seems to me, to be at odds with my experiences so far.

I am very sorry if people reading this feel I am a bit 'down' at the moment.  I think the reality is that I am feeling a bit sorry for myself. I think I know why that is and in essence revolves around a complete lack of clarity as to what the short term future holds for me coupled with the proximity of Christmas. I receive different views from different health care professionals and I just don't know who to believe and so much revolves around the critical milestone of the ability to bear weight on my right leg and what happens immediately after that - home or a move to a different place for rehabilitation. It's the uncertainty, now I have come out the initial stages of recovery, that I find hugely difficult to deal with. As my Dad once said - 'things can only get better'.

One of the things I have found most interesting (and very odd) is that in the caring profession that nursing is when I have had the need to 'complain' I am either met with aggression or complete disinterest.  Recovery from trauma is, in my opinion, an holistic event, which includes the best possible conditions for the trauma to repair and, most importantly, feeling good about your care and yourself.  It seems the nursing profession are empowered to sit and listen and help when things go wrong but only from a theoretical standpoint; when it comes to the reality of helping someone who is agitated about their care, as I am now, it becomes a retreat into one of two camps - aggression or walking away from the issue.  It is an issue I believe the NHS need to grasp or at the very least have people available 24x7 to be able to be called in to help who are empowered to take positive action to resolve the issue.

A very therapeutic visit from my friend Helen W this afternoon and also most grateful that Roger H gave of his time to visit.  This was followed by a visit from Vicky Martin (manager SE Waterway for Canal & River Trust) who has taken on the role of advocate for me with the NHS - that's so helpful. I dearn't think what she's doing even now!

Mel, who lives next door, came with new Tee shirts and knickers - I won't be 'Nicholas Parsons' for a while now! Bless you Mel.

Saddened to learn of a nasty helicopter accident in Westland (South Island, New Zealand) on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.