Pages

Where am I

I managed to slip over on 6-November-2015 and fracture the femoral head of my right hip. This blog is just to keep friends and relatives up-to-date with my recovery. It also will show where the NHS is good and where there is opportunity to improve. If you click the images tab (above) there are a few images of the break before and after the repair.

Update 10-June-2016 - sadly the femoral head has avascular necrosis and a total hip replacement will be carried out on 15-June-2016

I am home in Stoke Bruerne

Friday 13 November 2015

Day 8

A much quieter night for all thank goodness.

I had a 'heart-to-heart' last night with the nurse in charge about what I perceive is lack of progress by Occupational Therapy - I think they need to get their act together on what the options are for me once I have outstayed my welcome in hospital.  She agreed and promised to take it up at their handover meeting this morning.

Vital signs are looking good with blood pressure (always an issue for me) at 127/77, resting heart rate at 77 and oxygen saturation at 97.7%. However I feel very stiff in the hips this morning which I suspect is because of my first proper visit to Physio yesterday.

What's in store for today - Physio at some stage and possibly a Dexa scan - I hope there are no more magical mystery tours!

10:45: Just back from Physio - I now have a 'dog lead' type of thing which means I can get my right leg back into bed without having to ask for assistance.  I have tried a small obstacle course (and not fallen over) and I have tried crutches (they will become part of me for some time I think) - they are surprisingly difficult. Oh and the most important thing of all is I am now permitted to go to the loo on my own - I wonder how many years ago that was said to me by my Mum! Time for a cup of tea I think - who knows what this afternoon will bring!

Well the geriatric doctors (what a cheek) have just been.  Everything is fine except that my Vitamin D levels are extremely low.  I'll have to look up where Vitamin D comes from but I did think the sun delivered a bit of it. I assume that Vitamin D helps the bones which may be why this one decided to part company in the 'middle'.

A quiet afternoon with lovely visits from Helen Westlake, Neil Owen and Mel Wikes (Mel, who lives next door, brought some clean clothes). This evening Mike Partridge and Louise Stockwin were kind enough to give of their time to come and see me.  I am very lucky to have such loyal friends.

2 comments:

  1. Late as usual, I've only just come across your news on CWDF.
    Just to wish you a speedy, and as pain free recovery as possible.
    Bob (Hawkmoth)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll pop in tomorrow. Let me know if you need ought. Pleased you are more active. Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.