Pages

Where am I

I managed to slip over on 6-November-2015 and fracture the femoral head of my right hip. This blog is just to keep friends and relatives up-to-date with my recovery. It also will show where the NHS is good and where there is opportunity to improve. If you click the images tab (above) there are a few images of the break before and after the repair.

Update 10-June-2016 - sadly the femoral head has avascular necrosis and a total hip replacement will be carried out on 15-June-2016

I am home in Stoke Bruerne

Wednesday 18 November 2015

Day 13

A very good night's sleep.  No hot flushes or sweats.  Physio first thing I imagine and then who knows what excitement awaits!

I hear on the news that former All Black, Jona Lomu has died at 40.  Before his time but does it really rate interviews with John Key (NZ's Prime Minister), Jonathan Coleman (Sports Minister) and all the Twitter wringing of hands?  I think not - just take a look at the front page of New Zealand's main digital information pages I really feel we have lost the ability to acknowledge death (not passing or any other word that avoids the word death) in a dignified way.

07:25 - please may I have a shower.  Just a minute and we'll organise it
07:40 - please may I have a shower.  Just a minute and we'll organise it
08:00 - nothing - exasperated I am afraid.

Sadly just had a row with one of the Care Assistants.  She said she didn't know why I was in a hurry (her words) to have a shower because I wasn't going anywhere.  That kind of cut to the quick - I know I am hospital bound for a while but to have someone reinforce it in that way is irritating in the extreme and quite hurtful.  She then took me to the shower where I asked for some shower gel. She said she would get it.  20 mins later I have finished my shower (without the shower gel) because she claims to have forgotten.  It's just one person, I know, but at the same time it is, IMHO, nowhere near good enough.

Now been told that Physio won't be until some time this afternoon - during visiting hours - great (not). I just cannot understand why, for the past three 'Physio' mornings, I have been taken to the gym at about 09:00, which seems a good routine to me, out of the blue I should be moved to an alternative time without any consultation at all.  Emotionally I have no intention of playing the game and doing any Physio today, as I see that as my only bargaining tool (I can do most of what is required in my room anyway). I really find some of the processes beyond comprehension and yet, to balance the books, the care, on the whole, has been so good.

A good chat with 'Irish Pat' at lunchtime has cleared a few cobwebs.

Just had a visit from Paul (he was taught history by David Blagrove at Roade!) from Avery Health Care and it looks as if I may move to Cliftonville (still I think on the hospital estate) later this afternoon.  I expect it will happen, as with all things here, when it happens!

Stop Press - move is on with 2 hour stopover somewhere in the hospital.  

Well that 'somewhere' is the Discharge Lounge (rather like the gate at an airport before boarding) and I am waiting with baited breath (been here an hour now) for the magical ambulance that will transfer me to Cliftonville. It was another 'magical mystery tour' - I think we went around Northampton General Hospital about three times in the dark but I am now well settled in my new abode and very posh it is too.

A lovely visit from Vicky this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.