Pages

Where am I

I managed to slip over on 6-November-2015 and fracture the femoral head of my right hip. This blog is just to keep friends and relatives up-to-date with my recovery. It also will show where the NHS is good and where there is opportunity to improve. If you click the images tab (above) there are a few images of the break before and after the repair.

Update 10-June-2016 - sadly the femoral head has avascular necrosis and a total hip replacement will be carried out on 15-June-2016

I am home in Stoke Bruerne

Friday 20 November 2015

Day 15

It seems hardly possible but today at about 10:20 marks two weeks since I fell and broke my hip - where does the time go to?

One of the blessings of Cliftonville is that there is free WiFi which I find very helpful as I have my MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone and iPod here and everything is connected so I can continue some of the non-physical work I was doing now that I am not spending a fair proportion of my time dealing with the break. I muse about how we survived without WiFi and the Internet but the fact of the matter is that we did and a huge number of people continue to do so.

Still not seen anyone from the management team and been 'welcomed' to Cliftonville - I still find that rather odd and also there are no instructions as to what to do in the event of a fire - surely that can't be right. And dirty breakfast dishes still on my beside table at 10:45 but gone by 11:00.

Have spoken to a Physio this morning who is trying to make my chair more comfortable - it really is the most uncomfortable chair I have ever sat in.  They are looking to see what they can do to help. She confirmed definitely no walking until the week before Christmas at the earliest and only then if Mr Northover says yes. B£&&£cks.

The other dilemma I have sorted this morning is to do with money.  I have £110 in cash but if friends kindly buy me things I need, once the £110 has gone I could see no way of getting more cash - there's an ATM in NGH but nothing, that I am aware of, here and I can't get to the cash machine (or the end of the corridor here).  The standard answer seems to be get the family to help which doesn't apply for me (elderly cousins in Thannet, Monmouth, Kingston-on-Thames, Iver, Queen Camel and Buxton all of whom are 'slip sliding away' in one form or another and all considerably older than me; my sister is 12,500 miles away).  My bank (Natwest) have an 'App' which they have now activated for me which means I can 'Get Cash'; that effectively means I can pay someone say £20 - I give them a code which they can input into a Natwest, RBS or Tesco ATM and it will deliver the amount I have authorised once the code is input.  The code lasts 3 hours. Sounds workable to me.

Oh dear such a session just now with Gabriella one of the nurse managers.  Feeling very 'unloved' at the moment because I don't know what is in the plan for me - I've not been part of the process at any stage. The following should have happened on discharge from NGH but didn't:

  • An explanation that there would be no cost to me of the move to Cliftonville
  • What my care plan looks like at the moment
  • An explanation that Cliftonville is very short term and that I will be moved to a longer term care place at some time in the very near future
  • A discussion about my personal circumstances e.g. family (well lack of for me) etc etc.

I am left with the over-riding feeling that the move to Cliftonville was much more about releasing an acute bed than anything else. I have no problem at all with that as long as I understood, and was consulted about, the reason but I wasn't.

I also think that I should have an appointment now in my diary for seeing the consultant so as I know when the decision will be made as to weight bearing.  At the moment I have no idea when that appointment will be and if it will be too close to Christmas to take advantage of being home in time for Christmas.

Just had some time with Alison (a manger here) it seems I should have had a 1:1 with the Discharge Team and been told where I was going and why and what the future is but not a thing.  She was terribly defensive telling me in no uncertain terms that it was nothing to do with her.

Just as we were finishing our chat a lady called Cherry from the discharge team arrived saying none of the required paper work had been completed and of course I would not be aware of anything.  It transpires the hospital has been on 'Black Alert' this week and the idea of moving me out was to release an acute bed; I understand and accept that without question by why oh why did they not talk to me about it. Cliftonville is, in reality, an airport terminal where the reasonably fit are sent to await a move to rehabilitation to places such as Turn Furlong.  However, because I am non weight bearing I am not considered ready for rehabilitation so I may stay here but equally possible is that I may be sent anywhere in Northamptonshire - I do not like the sound of that at all but it seems I have no voice in my care at all.  That cannot be right and something I will need to take up with Andrea Leadsom. It seems Christmas will be off the menu for a second year in a row unless I can convince my friend Sue to come and stay in Northampton. Oh and no date to see Mr Northover so no idea when I will be able to get a decent idea of a weight bearing date.  I am feeling sadly disillusioned and extremely frustrated this afternoon.  Oh and no physio until Monday at the earliest.

1 comment:

  1. For anyone wishing to visit Kathryn at Cliftonville House, don't park in the NGH's car parks.
    Cliftonville House has it's own car parking area for visitors (Free) - but spaces are limited - particularly at peak visiting times.
    Rob
    Entrance is off Cliftonville.
    If driving around the A45 past Queen Eleanor, come off at Barnes Meadow interchange and take the A428 Bedford Road in towards Town Centre.
    Take first turning right at traffic lights and proceed up Cliftonville Road - past the entrance to the NGH to the top of the hill. Turn left into Cliftonville and immediately left into Cliftonville House.
    Alternatively, I found an empty street parking bay on The Avenue (turn right at the top of the hill) - and this is outside the parking restricted zone - so no time limit.
    There is a requirement to sign in as a visitor at the Reception Desk before entering the building.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.