Pages

Where am I

I managed to slip over on 6-November-2015 and fracture the femoral head of my right hip. This blog is just to keep friends and relatives up-to-date with my recovery. It also will show where the NHS is good and where there is opportunity to improve. If you click the images tab (above) there are a few images of the break before and after the repair.

Update 10-June-2016 - sadly the femoral head has avascular necrosis and a total hip replacement will be carried out on 15-June-2016

I am home in Stoke Bruerne

Tuesday 22 December 2015

Day 47

Day 47 and what could be another landmark day.  I am really not sure what to expect today but think that I'll be asked to pack up my stuff and travel to Stoke Bruerne with an Occupational Therapist. If the OT person is happy with my ability to use the stairs at home then I shall stay at home. That's what I think may happen but in reality it is only a guess at the moment.

What's being proposed for me is something called Discharge To Assess (or in NHS speak DTA). The following flow chart (yes an NHS one!) is for South Gloucestershire but is equally valid for Northamptonshire:


My understanding is that I would follow the extreme left hand pathway; it means I still receive NHS 'treatment' at home making sure I am coping and I am happy that whatever is done is 'self funded' although a little Local Authority help with some of the more expensive things may be helpful.

Just had some good news from Kamilla (the physio) who says a car has been booked to take me and her back to Stoke Bruerne tomorrow afternoon (23-December).  It may be that they think I am not capable of staying at home in which case, sadly, I would need to return to Cliftonville but I don't think they would suggest going home if they didn't think I could cope.  That's all such good news with just the caveat that they may have to say no. I will have outpatient physio in Northampton and so have taken the precaution of registering with TADD to try and reduce too much reliance on friends and neighbours.

I've made an appointment to see my GP so that's another thing ticked off.

Whilst I am sure I will have something to say for the next few days I expect this blog (not sure I like the word) will tail off a little as life returns, I hope, to what passes in my life for normality. There's going to be a few backward steps I am sure but I hope most of it will be forward steps.

Two lovely visits today from Louise at lunchtime and Mike this evening - thank you both very much for taking the time at what is a very busy time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.