Pages

Where am I

I managed to slip over on 6-November-2015 and fracture the femoral head of my right hip. This blog is just to keep friends and relatives up-to-date with my recovery. It also will show where the NHS is good and where there is opportunity to improve. If you click the images tab (above) there are a few images of the break before and after the repair.

Update 10-June-2016 - sadly the femoral head has avascular necrosis and a total hip replacement will be carried out on 15-June-2016

I am home in Stoke Bruerne

Thursday 10 December 2015

Day 35

Iona (previously Bellerophon)
on the River Wey
I did a bit of shopping on Amazon recently and one of the things I bought was a four DVD set of the Rank Organisation 'Look at Life' series from the late 1950s / early 1960s - it is their transport series and has some lovely film of a Bristol Britannia flying via Bombay (Mumbai now) and Hong Kong (the old Kai Tak airport) to Tokyo and back but the reason I bought it is that there's one film called 'Where no tide flows' about the inland waterways. Some of the film shows a working pair going through Blisworth tunnel and includes the butty Bellerophon (now Iona on the River Wey at Godalming) which was originally paired with Bootes (pronounced 'Boot ese') which belongs to my friend Steph and her husband Steve and is moored at Weedon. What a small world.

Bellerophon in carrying days
I have finally realised (and it has taken me three weeks) that at Cliftonville I am 'out to grass'.  I am just here to spend time whilst the hip joint grows back together.  A bit like a lamb being put out to grass to fatten up before being sent to the abattoir! All they are doing for me is keeping me warm, comfortable, fed and watered and I suppose that's all I really need; I am not in need of nursing care as some of the more elderly are and any advice I seek is just brushed away.  I wonder why it has taken me so long to come to that conclusion. The frustration I feel must be self evident to them but they seem powerless to help in any way. The new lady across they way has done nothing but shout and scream all night - a bit disturbing for me but I do feel for her - she apparently has no idea where she is - those of you I have talked to know what to do if it should happen to me!

A very pleasant visit from Sarah (CRT) this morning who kindly delivered my washing - I really dislike having to ask for help like this but I know I have no alternative - I do remember being told when I was younger (a lot younger) that it is as blessed to receive as it is to give - I need to have that at the forefront of my thoughts for a few weeks I suppose.

Bootes (originally paired with Bellerophon)
All of a sudden today my air mattress was whisked away this afternoon - it moves all night to stop you getting pressure sores - as it was needed for someone who is confined to their bed.  Understand pressure sores are quite awful and very difficult to heal properly.  I now have a 'normal' mattress which I am told will be more comfortable. The air mattress was fine so may be I'll be even more comfortable tonight!

My friend Mike visited this evening and kind brought some collapsible boxes so that if (when) I move on from Cliftonville I shall be able to carry the stuff I seems to have aquired over 5 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.