Pages

Where am I

I managed to slip over on 6-November-2015 and fracture the femoral head of my right hip. This blog is just to keep friends and relatives up-to-date with my recovery. It also will show where the NHS is good and where there is opportunity to improve. If you click the images tab (above) there are a few images of the break before and after the repair.

Update 10-June-2016 - sadly the femoral head has avascular necrosis and a total hip replacement will be carried out on 15-June-2016

I am home in Stoke Bruerne

Wednesday 2 December 2015

Day 27

Sadly not my finest hour when Vicky arrived last night at the same time I was expressing to the duty nurse how I felt about another day going by and nothing being done about the issue of Vitamin D and the nurse saying she would do something tomorrow. The complete lack of transparency over just about everything is probably my biggest complaint about the NHS. Most things are not discussed with the customer and when questions are asked it seems no one is empowered to provide anything other than a holding answer. Vicky was kind enough to go off with the nurse whilst she looked at my notes and to say she thought I was very restrained! To balance the books the clinical care of getting my hip repaired was outstanding.

Today is Geriatric (preposterous) consultant day so we'll have to discuss Vitamin D again. All I want is an honest answer from them but to be told I need a booster of 50,000 units (whatever that is in reality) and a week later nothing has eventuated doesn't match up in my book.

I have done a little research into Vitamin D this morning, the results of which I have purloined from the internet and are here.
  • Darker skin - No
  • Feel 'Blue' - yes some days I do
  • 50 or older - sadly yes
  • Overweight or obese - maybe slightly overweight
  • Bones ache - not to my knowledge
  • Head sweating - yes, yes, yes and yes - been an issue for years
  • You have gut trouble (nice turn of phrase) - sometimes I do and fat, I find, doesn't always digest well
I have had a visit from the doctor, the consultant and the senior nurse this morning and it has been pointed out to me that:
  • The different form of calcium supplement I received between 12-November and 18-November was in fact the booster - that wasn't, to the best of my knowledge explained to me in those terms - what was explained was that they needed to change the form of delivery once a week
  • I need to accept what they say - I have
  • I was advised last Friday that I was advised that the supplement received between 12-November and 18-November was the supplement. I don't honestly recall that but have accepted that I was
  • I have apologised unreservedly if I have caused them any offence
I am finding this process really challenging but I'll have to deal with it. I am utterly appalled and have been humiliated by the visit of the consultant.  The easiest thing to do is write up the visit, in my own words, and in due course go back and visit it and try and work out if I need to do anything.

What a difference a few hours makes.  I have received a visit from the Discharges matron who was delightful and I am confident she will do as she has committed to do and will keep an eye out for me over the next couple of weeks. I won't repeat here what was said as I feel that would break a confidence between us - I do have a record of what was said.

I have enjoyed very supportive visits today from Lorna York, Louse Stockwin and Helen Westlake; Helen has kindly taken away a bag full of dirty washing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.