Pages

Where am I

I managed to slip over on 6-November-2015 and fracture the femoral head of my right hip. This blog is just to keep friends and relatives up-to-date with my recovery. It also will show where the NHS is good and where there is opportunity to improve. If you click the images tab (above) there are a few images of the break before and after the repair.

Update 10-June-2016 - sadly the femoral head has avascular necrosis and a total hip replacement will be carried out on 15-June-2016

I am home in Stoke Bruerne

Monday 14 December 2015

Day 39

Well here we are - D-day - the day when I will hopefully know what the slightly longer term future holds for me, where I may go from Cliftonville and, perhaps most importantly, how my broken hip is repairing itself (with the help of screws, plates etc etc). I'll also find out if I am permitted to weight bear.  I'll update this page once I am back from the Fracture Clinic - I think it may be quite a long appointment as I am sure I will need to go to Radiology for some X-Rays and I may have to wait up to 2 hours for the contracted private ambulance to take me the 213m back to Cliftonville.

Been ready to go since 07:30 and it is now 08:40 and no sign of anyone.  I could have had an extra hour in bed!

Finally the ambulance came at 09:20 so I was late for my appointment - the good news is that I was allowed to come home by myself with my friend Vicky keeping an eye on me - my electric wheelchair skills need enhancing a bit.

Well - the answer I received was not quite what I was expecting.  The X-Rays looked fine (must try and get hold of some copies) and the screws look to be nice and tight.  I am told I can use the Zimmer frame and the crutches (but the Physio says no crutches without him being there) and take as much weight as I can tolerate.  Does that mean full or partial weight bearing - well no one seems to know and my notes are still at Northampton General (NGH) because they didn't give them back to me. How much longer will I be here - well initially it seems to be 7 (yes seven) more weeks (that's 1-February-2016) but I can go home when I think it is OK - well it is not my area of expertise so I have asked if the Discharge Matron (Naomi Walters) can pop in and discuss things with me because I think I'd find 7 more weeks a bit mentally challenging to be honest. I really do need that care plan so I can understand the road to full recovery.  The chap I saw said that the femoral head could take up to 2 years to die (if it is going to die) so I shall be under the care of NGH for quite some time.  I could think of a few terse Kiwi words to use but I shall refrain just in case I need them in the future!

I think I can find things to do with my CRT volunteering hat on which may involve a day a week in the Milton Keynes office - probably not until the new year and only then if it fits in with CRT's ideals. but it would give what my Dad used to call 'social intercourse' (!) and mixing with people more of my age.

An update following a chat with Alison one of the nurses here.  My notes were returned from NGH this afternoon and there is nothing new in them.  To say she is cross would be an understatement because it means the Physio can do nothing with me tomorrow as he can't use my understanding of the appointment so we have to wait until a letter comes from Mr Northover's (my consultant) secretary saying what I am allowed to do.  Alison thinks I should be going elsewhere for longer term rehab, that the registrar I saw today thinks I am living at home already (because of the statement that any medicine should be ordered through my GP) and that staying here is not in my longer term interests. I remain extremely disappointed by today's appointment; I think it is a huge opportunity lost for me and I rather hope that another appointment at the Fracture Clinic will be forthcoming before Christmas when perhaps a sensible discussion can take place.  The only way to describe how I feel tonight is heartbroken and utterly let down by the NHS.

My friend Sarah came to see me this evening and, to take the subject off the challenges today has presented me with, we discussed how we can avoid blocking Stoke Bruerne next time we have an event.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kathryn, I have just found out that you have a poorly hip (from the sidebar on nb Herbie's blog) and have in the last half hour read this entire blog from go to whoa. As they said on NZ's Toyota ads of the 90s: B*gger! (If you haven't seen them look them up on youtube - they will make you smile as they are quintessentially NZ.)
    We met you earlier this year (I have been searching back through our blog and have found the post where I mention you http://nbwakahuia.blogspot.co.nz/2015/05/friends-reunited.html ) when you and your neighbour were sitting outside on your steps as I was waiting for boats to exit the lock. I have often thought of you as I am traversing tunnels - you offered to take us through Blisworth some time at the crack of dawn, so you could stop and show us the features of it. Given I get through the tunnels with as much alacrity as I can, the thought of going through slowly and stopping to look at stuff gave me the shivers! Me and being underground don't get along too well (I can't go into Waitomo Caves ...).
    It does sound as though you are making good progress physically, and what I perceive is that most of your anxiety comes from a sense of powerlessness. Clearly you are a woman who has had control over all aspects of your life, and here you are without it, and in an environment where that is not understood - or is so taken for the norm that it is unremarkable, in fact it is invisible to those who are perceived to have the power (that's their perception and ours, if we are honest).
    We are back in NZ so are unable to visit, but would love to stay in touch by email. My email address is marilyn@cherswud.com
    In the meantime, keep that dancing to a minimum, Kathryn!
    Cheers, Marilyn McDonald, Waikanae, NZ

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.