Pages

Where am I

I managed to slip over on 6-November-2015 and fracture the femoral head of my right hip. This blog is just to keep friends and relatives up-to-date with my recovery. It also will show where the NHS is good and where there is opportunity to improve. If you click the images tab (above) there are a few images of the break before and after the repair.

Update 10-June-2016 - sadly the femoral head has avascular necrosis and a total hip replacement will be carried out on 15-June-2016

I am home in Stoke Bruerne

Friday 4 December 2015

Day 29

Where I want to be and what I want to
be doing!
Well here we are starting week five; it was four weeks ago today that I slipped over.  The movement in my hip has improved dramatically in the last few days; I understand that at the Fracture Clinic appointment on 14-December my range of movement is a factor in allowing me to weight bear.  Now that's something I can do something about but I really can do anything about the way the bones are rejoining so I suppose I need to concentrate on the things I can influence and, at the same time, make sure I don't over stress the hip joint.  I am so much looking forward to my time in Stoke Bruerne today.

One of the things this broken hip has provided is an insight into what it may be like to be disabled. All things being equal I shall return to full fitness in a (relatively) short time. Others of course are not so fortunate. In Wednesday's 'discussion' Alison did say she had no idea what it was like to be in my position.  My response was to suggest that she tried it, something that is so easy to do, and something that would give her an insight into the experiences her patients (well customers really) have. I was speaking to my friend Emma about this yesterday.  I understand her sister is involved in the care of the elderly.  The nurses were very quick to prescibe incontinence pads (and the like) for their patients so Em's sister made the nurses wear incontinence knickers and not go to the loo! I think all careers should be obliged to walk a mile in the shoes of their patients to fully understand what sometimes is an undignified existence - well done Em's sister.

A lovely time in Stoke Bruerne today.  I tested an electric wheelchair in a run up to the tunnel portal and back - it was really good.  Spent some time talking to Bob the Blacksmith and then back to the museum.  The boys were about to take Sculptor down to the A508 and back to wind her. Spent some time in the museum talking to Helen (she's done my washing again - thank you Helen) and Steph did a number of little jobs - thank you Steph and do hope your cold gets better. Helen retrieved my mail; I was surprised to find a letter from the NHS changing my 12-December appointment from 14:30 to 09:30 but why send it home and no copy to me in Cliftonville - very odd way to do things - lucky I went home!

Back 'inside' now and a nice visit from Mike P this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.