Pages

Where am I

I managed to slip over on 6-November-2015 and fracture the femoral head of my right hip. This blog is just to keep friends and relatives up-to-date with my recovery. It also will show where the NHS is good and where there is opportunity to improve. If you click the images tab (above) there are a few images of the break before and after the repair.

Update 10-June-2016 - sadly the femoral head has avascular necrosis and a total hip replacement will be carried out on 15-June-2016

I am home in Stoke Bruerne

Wednesday 6 January 2016

Days 57 (9) to 62 (14)

Decided to publish after six days as a lot seems to have happened and a lot more probably will over the next few days as I swing into the NHS being back at work.

06-Jan
Today is GP day - it will be interesting to see how things go. 10:50 - Just back from the GP - I now have a prescription for Calcium and Vitamin D supplement and have had a blood test for which I should have the results by Monday or Tuesday next week. I did think they were very efficient considering the waiting room was full to bursting point and they were very kind in that they arranged for the GP to come downstairs rather than me struggle upstairs. The GP wouldn't commit himself on driving and said that was up to the Physio - I expect the Physio will say it is up to the Fracture Clinic and so we will go round and round!

05-Jan
A lovely day out with my friend Mike today; we went over to Braunston in order that Mike could pick up a very small part from Midland Chandlers (but of course they didn't have it).  We popped into The Plough for lunch - very disappointing and so cold - the fire was almost out and there was no atmosphere at all.  On the way back we stopped in Towcester and did a little shopping and had a visit to Waitrose.  In the afternoon I had a phone call from NGH and was able to make a Physio appointment for Thursday in Towcester; my friend Steph has kindly said she will take me.

04-Jan
The ache returned to my hips this morning for a short time - it must be the way I sleep! My friend Roger (as mentioned in entry for 02-Jan) is visiting today - that's very noble of him since he became a grandfather for the first time on 2-January - congratulations Maggie and Roger (and of course Claire and Lewis). Things must be returning to normal as I have a batch of cheese scones in the oven as I write this! I enjoyed a lovely time with Roger and a very nice lunch at the Navigation.

A small success this evening - my toenails have grown and grown but tonight (with a bit of a struggle) I have managed to cut them (and quite well too).  That's one thing the NHS will not do for you because they are cautious that they won't accidentally cut you and then you sue them for injury - do how silly that is!

03-Jan
Last night (well this morning really) was the first morning for ages I have woken up without a real ache in my hips - something must be improving somewhere - I am a bit stiffer this morning but that will wear off during the first part of the morning I am sure. Off to Woodwards again today with my good friend Lorna. A lovely lunch with Lorna to mark the end of the Christmas holiday period and a time when life tends to return to 'normal'.

02-Jan
A really miserable day outside today but on the positive side I am managing to 'scoot' around the kitchen ('scoot' being a relative word you understand) without any pain - well almost. There's been a couple of boats through Stoke Bruerne today - I think any self-respecting boater would be tucked up warm on their boat with the solid fuel fire going well.  The Basingstoke Canal Guide (left) was kindly sent to me by my friend Roger (who does so much for the Basingstoke Canal) and features my beloved Leo No2 on the front cover. The photo was taken at Arthur's Bridge on the Basingstoke directly outside the Bridge Barn Hotel. I sadly sold Leo 3 months ago but with my broken hip I suspect it was probably, with hindsight, a good thing as I could not have boated on her for quite some time.  I do hope the new owners are enjoying their time with her.

My right hip is feeling so much better this evening.

01-Jan
A quiet night last night - not really ready for dancing yet - have now found that I can walk across the kitchen without a crutch and without too much pain if I keep my knee just slightly bent. Off for lunch at Woodwards today.

A lovely lunch with lovely people and I managed to get there and back on my own!  Before lunch I popped in to see David and Jean Blagrove - David has not been at all well and has, I think, lost a lot of weight but despite the weight loss he looks well in the circumstances.  We are both concerned about the lack of Stoke Bruerne representation at NGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.