Pages

Where am I

I managed to slip over on 6-November-2015 and fracture the femoral head of my right hip. This blog is just to keep friends and relatives up-to-date with my recovery. It also will show where the NHS is good and where there is opportunity to improve. If you click the images tab (above) there are a few images of the break before and after the repair.

Update 10-June-2016 - sadly the femoral head has avascular necrosis and a total hip replacement will be carried out on 15-June-2016

I am home in Stoke Bruerne

Monday 11 January 2016

Day 66 (18) to Day 73 (25)

17-Jan (25)
A view from my front door this morning
Snow overnight as predicted. I haven't been outside as I am not quite sure how I'd explain things to A&E at NGH if I slipped and damaged my hip! It does look beautiful until someone walks along the towpath and it takes the 'virginity' of the snow away.   I am amazed how the snow has clung to the branches of the trees - normally it melts very quickly but I don't think the outside temperature has risen above 0 Celsius so far. A bit of a restless night but making my way around the house very well this morning.  My consultant did say that I would have times when progress seemed to be slow (a plateau he called it) - I think I may be past the most recent episode of that.

A lovely visit today from Steph and Steve Furniss and their one-year-old daughter Eliza - she climbed my kitchen stairs which I understand was a first for her.

I stumbled across this article on Vitamin D - makes interesting reading despite the attached video being just so American.

16-Jan (24)
Today is Sculptor day so am off to a meeting at 10:00 (luckily just next door at the museum) where we'll discuss things such as the programme for the year and the forthcoming Boat Safety Inspection (think MoT but every 4 years).

I have enjoyed such a good day today; I have not (hardly) needed the crutches and hardly needed the walking stick.  Things became a bit sore about 17:00 but I am not really surprised so it looks as if the walking corner may have been turned but I suppose I'll have to see how tomorrow goes.  I managed to take myself to Tesco at Mereway, get the car washed and do my little bit of shopping (a little bit of shopping always seems to cost a lot!) without the need for a wheelchair - one crutch and the Tesco trolley were quite sufficient this time.

15-Jan (23)
A quiet day today; it's still a bit sore to walk unaided - maybe I am expecting too much - I have noticed that I am fine when I first get up in the morning but as soon as I have sat down the soreness comes back.  I think it may be because my leg has lain flat for the night and as soon as I sit down I put pressure on it in a different way.  I am seeing my Physio on Monday so I'll ask Liz what it might be - it just could be I am expecting too much!

14-Jan (22)
A day for helping CRT in Milton Keynes - Sarah picked me up at just after nine and I spent the day in MK busying myself trying to do what I could to help.  I found it most interesting to have the shared e-mail open on one screen looking at issues being raised by the public and the discussion going on on the internet about exactly the same subject!

13-Jan (21)
Today was 'adoption day' in Stoke Bruerne - the day when, once a month we do our best to do all the little bits that need doing between the tunnel portal and the bottom lock. Sadly I can't at the moment join the team doing the physical, outside, stuff so I spent most of the morning with Steph in the museum doing what I could to help - mainly having a chat I think. I made myself a lovely (even if I say so myself) macaroni cheese for my evening meal and managed to freeze four additional portions for later in the week.

I think I may have discovered why, when I get up, the leg feels good but very shortly afterwards doesn't feel quite so good - it doesn't seem to like me sitting down; I'll discuss that with my Physio on Monday.

12-Jan (20)
I spent today volunteering for Canal & River Trust at their Milton Keynes office.  Sarah Brown kindly collected me and brought me home again.  It was so good to get out and have what my dear old dad would have called 'social intercourse'. I hope what I accomplished was useful.  Sarah, Amy and I had a lovely meal in the Navigation (thank you Amy).  I am going back on Thursday so I must have done some good or given someone a good laugh!

11-Jan (19)
Today is the first day of getting back in to 'normality' or whatever passes for that at the moment. We have Stoke Bruerne Canal Partnership monthly meeting this morning and then I am off to Towcester to see my 'private' physio - that sounds so American - but I have been seeing Liz Soames at Working Bodies  for some time to help keep my lower back in order. I expect Liz will give the muscles on my upper right leg a good massage to help get them going again.

The visit to Liz was amazing - she seemed to massage almost everything and gave me plenty of good advice.  I was able to treat my friend Helen to lunch in Waitrose as she was kind enough to drive me to the appointment.

When I arrived home there was a letter from my GP advising that I needed another blood test in four weeks time - not sure why but I have made an appointment for 4-February - there must be a Vampire somewhere who likes my blood!

10-Jan (18)
Not such a good day today - very stiff for some reason which I shall put down to the exercises I have been doing that were given me by the physio at the Brook Health Centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.