Where am I

I managed to slip over on 6-November-2015 and fracture the femoral head of my right hip. This blog is just to keep friends and relatives up-to-date with my recovery. It also will show where the NHS is good and where there is opportunity to improve. If you click the images tab (above) there are a few images of the break before and after the repair.

Update 10-June-2016 - sadly the femoral head has avascular necrosis and a total hip replacement will be carried out on 15-June-2016

I am home in Stoke Bruerne

Thursday, 16 June 2016

New Hip Done

Here we go again. Things were a bit chaotic yesterday. In here for 07:30 (thank you Helen) and then after registration and being moved on to my Ward (Cedar) I was sat down when the porters came at 15:15. The reason it was so late in the day was because Mr Maundy wished to do my operation personally.

It took two hours to complete but I now have a brand new hip joint and the responsibility for recovery now passes from the NHS to me.

The first thing was a sandwich and a cup of tea and then settling into ward life. No food or drink since the previous day.

Lovely, quite lovely, staff here. Lisa, who was looking after us overnight is a very special lady. About 02:00 I thought I needed a wee but could not produce anything. This went on until about 06:00 when a decision was to insert a catheter - I have produced a litre of wee in 30 mins.

I have been out of bed and borne weight on the new hip but I must admit to feeling a bit sick and dizzy.

I'll do my best to keep the blog up-to-date on a daily basis for a while.

Just had a visit from the Consultant - he thinks I'll be home in five days!

A one stage this morning:
  • My oxygen supply fell on the floor
  • The breakfast trolley missed me out (one sandwich since 20:00 on Tuesday)
  • My catheter fell out
  • My drip ran out
  • The consultant arrived
  • My (robe) had its supplies run through the arm holes so I couldn't take it off
  • I ended up sitting on my bed with nothing on

Not the most auspicious start to the day!

I had a lovely visit later today from the physio. They got me out of bed but I found I felt very 'woosy' and sick (probably too much morphine which is freely available to me) so it was back to bed. 

Also an equally lovely visit from Occupational Therapy to check what would happen when I am discharged. It seems, on the face of it, as if my discharge from here will not be until I am fully able to care for myself and that might be with a carer for some time. How things have changed from last time. 

No comments:

Post a comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.