Pages

Where am I

I managed to slip over on 6-November-2015 and fracture the femoral head of my right hip. This blog is just to keep friends and relatives up-to-date with my recovery. It also will show where the NHS is good and where there is opportunity to improve. If you click the images tab (above) there are a few images of the break before and after the repair.

Update 10-June-2016 - sadly the femoral head has avascular necrosis and a total hip replacement will be carried out on 15-June-2016

I am home in Stoke Bruerne

Sunday 19 June 2016

Day 3 of recovery

As the days go by things get better and better.  I don't particularly care having to be reliant on others I am afraid but I am getting better at accepting that I have to be, especially in the earlier stages of recovery.

The big thing today was not losing blood pressure when I stood up, caused I am told, by too many opiate substances being in my body; not surprising after the 'free' access to Morphine!

The nurses got me up at about 14:00 and I spent the next three hours sitting alongside my bed watching the world go by.  I have a catheter which at night is connected to a large bag but during the day is connected to a smaller bag attached to my leg.  I can watch it imperceptibly rise during the day. I imagine proper 'No2' will recommence shortly - it is really quite amazing that the body knows to temporarily shut that function down.

We had a lady admitted today who had sustained some cruciate ligament damage - I have never heard such a fuss (I assume it is painful) but the demands made on the nursing staff and the phone calls that went on into the wee small hours were a bit too much in my opinion.  At one stage we had an Indian family with their mother on my right scoffing Kentucky Fried Chicken and drinking large bottles of coke and I think someone spilt some 'poo' on the floor - really quite entertaining. One of the nurses came along and remonstrated which resolved the situation.

It's always quiet on the long term front at weekends but I am sure that after a quiet Sunday things will start to move on Monday - I think I am going to have to accept that I need a carer (for as short a time as possible).  I have an appointment with the Eye Department in NGH on Thursday (following my torn retina) so I'll see if it is possible to stay here until then to remove the need for someone to bring me in to NGH (and return again).

I decided not to apply for a postal vote for the Europe Referendum so I'll either not vote or need someone to take me up to the village hall on Thursday.

08:00 and a trip to the loo fully weight bearing (but very tiring) and 20 mins to produce almost nothing.  But it is something and we are making 'movement' as it were! I do however feel like a washed out, very used dirty dishrag!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.