Pages

Where am I

I managed to slip over on 6-November-2015 and fracture the femoral head of my right hip. This blog is just to keep friends and relatives up-to-date with my recovery. It also will show where the NHS is good and where there is opportunity to improve. If you click the images tab (above) there are a few images of the break before and after the repair.

Update 10-June-2016 - sadly the femoral head has avascular necrosis and a total hip replacement will be carried out on 15-June-2016

I am home in Stoke Bruerne

Friday 13 May 2016

Iliotibial Band issues

I have received a letter from my consultant today (Mr Northover) who mentions 'Iliotibial Band'.  I looked it up on Google (other search engines are, of course, available) and the 'diagnosis' I have read on Wikipedia is exactly the symptoms I am experiencing.

The iliotibial band is a thick band of fascia on the lateral aspect of the knee, extending from the outside of the pelvis, over the hip and knee, and inserting just below the knee. The band is crucial to stabilizing the knee during running, as it moves from behind the femur to the front of the femur during activity. The continual rubbing of the band over the lateral femoral epicondyle, combined with the repeated flexion and extension of the knee during running may cause the area to become inflamed.

Mr Northover wishes to wait until October before deciding what the best thing is for me:



  • Do nothing
  • Injections to quieten down the Iliotibial band
  • Remove the Dynamic Hip Screw (it would make an interesting conversation piece!)
  • Remove the Dynamic Hip Screw and give me a new hip



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.