Pages

Where am I

I managed to slip over on 6-November-2015 and fracture the femoral head of my right hip. This blog is just to keep friends and relatives up-to-date with my recovery. It also will show where the NHS is good and where there is opportunity to improve. If you click the images tab (above) there are a few images of the break before and after the repair.

Update 10-June-2016 - sadly the femoral head has avascular necrosis and a total hip replacement will be carried out on 15-June-2016

I am home in Stoke Bruerne

Thursday 11 February 2016

Day 97 (49) to Day 101 (53)

A photo taken from the top floor of the museum by my friend Steph.  Left to right are the historic boats
  Sculptor, Southern Cross, Moon and William

14-Feb
The day has dawn clear but with a naggingly cold east wind - as I write this at 10:30 there are lots of people around.

We had a great day but it remained bitterly cold all day.

13-Feb
A really raw and cold day with constant drizzle. Despite the weather there were a good number of visitors here being shown around the lock.  William, Phobos and Southern Cross were here to compliment Sculptor as the photo at the top shows.  In the evening we had a lovely time in the Spice of Bruerne.

Jim the builder came round to do some last minute checks, yes I have had the quote, fallen over and picked myself up off the floor and accepted Jim's quote.  It looks as if he may start on 22-Feb!

12-Feb
A quiet Friday doing what I could to help CRT get ready for the Lock Open Days at the top Lock. It was bitterly cold and promises to be much the same for the weekend.


11-Feb
A good session with Liz my Physio this morning followed this afternoon by an appointment with the registrar.  All looking good and he doesn't wish to see me again until May.  This image alongside is of the 'repair' taken on 14-December-15.  I am surprised about the extra screw but I was told that it is the one that locks everything in place!

10-Feb
A bit stiff this morning but I have worked it off and now (10:00) am doing well. A phone call to the doctor this morning to check on the results of last week's blood test to find that I am 'borderline' on Creatinine so of course they would like some more blood - it must be posh blood!


A phone call yesterday from my very good (and long-standing) family friend Trevor to say his father had died overnight.  Trevor's Mum Georgie was so good to me when I had a difficult period in my life 35 years or so ago.  Derek was in a nursing home for some time and succumbed to dementia. I honestly think everyone is sorry he has gone but thankful he is no longer suffering.

Today was 'Adoption Day' in Stoke Bruerne - still not fit enough to take part but it was good to go and have a cup of tea with the team at lunchtime.

09-Feb
A much better day from the point-of-view of the weather. First thing Stuart came to clean my oven - I just couldn't do it with the hip the way it is and he has done a 'sparkling' job. Then John Dodwell (a Trustee for Canal and River Trust) and Peter Gray for morning tea followed by a FRED (Fish Rescue Education Day) following the draining of the pound below the lock. John and I then went to see David Blagrove and his wife Jean - David and John go back 60 years!

John and I had a lovely lunch in the Navigation before he went off with Ian (Knocky) Final to look at issues on the Grand Union South.

I was delighted to receive an e-mail fro a friend of mine in South Africa who had sent a photo of an old 2CV of mine which is now in a museum in the Netherlands. I remember driving RFF192 back from Dublin and then to Slovenia and back in 1995 - oh to be that young again and have the carefree attitude that I did in those days - who else would drive a 1955 12hp 2CV all the way to Slovenia and back for fun? It is lovely to see that it is being cared for and in a museum where it will last for so much longer.

I clearly walked too far today (will I ever learn) and I find my right thigh is really quite sore this evening.  I have done a lot today so I'll need to monitor how my recovery goes but based on previous issues like this I am sure it will be fine after a night's rest.

08-Feb
A horrible day weather wise today - huge winds (90mph on the south coast) and bitterly cold. My friend Sue was crossing from Dublin to Holyhead - bit of a roller coaster journey I should think. The CRT boys have started work on the top lock so that will give me an interest for a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.