Pages

Where am I

I managed to slip over on 6-November-2015 and fracture the femoral head of my right hip. This blog is just to keep friends and relatives up-to-date with my recovery. It also will show where the NHS is good and where there is opportunity to improve. If you click the images tab (above) there are a few images of the break before and after the repair.

Update 10-June-2016 - sadly the femoral head has avascular necrosis and a total hip replacement will be carried out on 15-June-2016

I am home in Stoke Bruerne

Sunday 31 January 2016

Day 82 (34) to Day 89 (41)

31-Jan
Still walking well this morning although a bit 'sore' overnight. I was going to watch the Murray v Djokovic match this morning but I see Murray is already 0-4 down as I write this so may be not at the moment. Went out for a walk today but was rather unpleasant weather-wise with a cold wind and constant very fine drizzle.

The lady who is kindly helping me keep the house in order, Jo, (there's a number of things I still find difficult) had me clearing out cupboards and the like; I have done another four this week so there's only my wardrobe left to do!

30-Jan
I woke up this morning and after about 10 mins found I could walk without any 'pain' at all - I haven't had very much pain during this whole 'episode' but today is was quite amazing that there was nothing uncomfortable at all - I just wonder if there is a nerve trapped somewhere that is slowly releasing itself - I'll need to keep up with the massage I think.  Apart from that a quiet day but there's a few ideas running around in my mind about making storage of 'things' in my house better - I'll need to discuss that with Jim Birch from Oakcraft Narrowboats I expect! 

I enjoyed the tennis from Melbourne this morning and the fact that a new person has won.  I wonder what will happen tomorrow when the 'old' protagonists Murray and Djokovic do battle.

A letter from the Fracture Clinic this morning saying I had an appointment for 11-February but I also have one for 5-February which doesn't seem to have been cancelled - I'll need to check with them on Monday.

29-Jan
A day when I felt very mobile - no problems coming down the stairs, no problems parking the car some 300m away from the Doctor's surgery when I needed to go and pick up some more Adcal-D3 (Vitamin D supplement) - it must be working because I haven't broken a fingernail for 3 months! I am sure all the stiffness and perceived lack of mobility is entirely muscular but I also suppose my visit to the Fracture Clinic on Friday next week will tell. A busy week next week as regards the hip - Physio on Monday, Blood test on Thursday and Fracture Clinic on Friday.

28-Jan
I spent today with Cand & River Trust in Milton Keynes working on their project about winding holes - I now have a list of  'official' winding holes in the South East (Stockers Lock to Kilby Lock Bridge, to Radford Semele and down to Oxford) and any issues that have been raised about them. The plan is to address any notified issues and, if at all possible, list the maximum length of boat that can be winded if not 72'. 

27-Jan
I went over to see Jim at Oakcraft Narrowboats in Weedon today - his workmanship is a sight to behold - beautiful - if we can do a deal on my bathroom it will look lovely. This was my first 'major' outing on my own and I managed to get in (and off) a couple of Narrowboats successfully.

26-Jan
I spent the morning helping clean exhibits in the Museum next door. I enjoyed my time doing that. In the afternoon Jo came to help keep the house in order and we spent a wonderful time cleaning out the cupboard under the stairs and getting rid of things I really don't need.  Very cathartic in my view.

25-Jan
A quietish day but also a visit to my (private) Physio; Liz says she is very pleased with my progress and that my upper leg muscles on my right leg are getting very much stronger. It is really very surprising how weak they become over a relatively short period. Some friends have said that it must be costly seeing Liz, it is, but I see it as an investment in my future.  The NHS Physio doesn't wish to see me again until 24-February; I think it is important to keep the pressure up to get back to full fitness as soon as I possibly can so I continue to see Liz.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.