Pages

Where am I

I managed to slip over on 6-November-2015 and fracture the femoral head of my right hip. This blog is just to keep friends and relatives up-to-date with my recovery. It also will show where the NHS is good and where there is opportunity to improve. If you click the images tab (above) there are a few images of the break before and after the repair.

Update 10-June-2016 - sadly the femoral head has avascular necrosis and a total hip replacement will be carried out on 15-June-2016

I am home in Stoke Bruerne

Wednesday 11 November 2015

Day 6

Least We Forget - On the eleventh day of the eleventh month at the eleventh hour 'We shall remember them'.  Lying here through the 'midnight watches' it seems quite poignant that today is Armistice Day and the true Remembrance Day. I can lie here and have my broken hip repaired probably because someone, somewhere did give up all their tomorrow's so I could have my today - it's times like this I think of my Uncle Tom who died at the Battle of the Somme and has no known grave. The Stoke Bruerne Adoption Group will raise the Union flag today in my absence.

Also through the midnight watches I have listened to a 'mad woman' demanding her human right to some more Paracetemol - seems a bit odd to me especially on Remembrance Day.

A much better night so far - no hot sweats and just a bit more movement in the hips - progress at last seems to be kicking off but it will be a long road I fear. I am finally understanding the routine of this ward and getting used to the little idiosynccrasies of things - I am indebted to the commitment, kindness and 'nothing is too much trouble' attitude of the staff here - there have been no exceptions.

Thank you to everyone who has commented on here and on Canal World Discussion Forum - your thoughts are much appreciated.  I have most of my IT stuff here so can keep in touch with most things.

I am still 'agonising' over what to do in the gap period between being mobile and strong enough to leave NHG and not being mobile and strong enough to return safely to Stoke Bruerne.  I think the answer, for me, is a nice secure Care Home where I can be independent (have all facilities on the same level) but have the ability to fall back on professional care should that be required.  My concern is that my steep/tight stairs and the inability to weight bear on the right leg are quite incompatible - if anyone has any thoughts or perhaps (perish the thought) experience I would value it.

The Physios were here at 09:00 and I managed twice the distance I did yesterday - not far at all - I won't be entering the London marathon for a wee time yet! I have to hop no - and they mean no - weight bearing means having to hold my right leg above the floor left and hop at the same time - Ministry of Silly Walks comes to mind!

Marisa - the nurse in charge on our bit of the ward - has taken my catheter out this morning and therefore the challenge set for me today is to drink a lot and, I assume, wee at lot!  It sounds rather like an exciting chapter of  'Herge's Adventures of Tin Tin'.

Just been for a wee (good) and returned to find a sign on my bed to say 'Washing and Dressing assessment Thursday' - wonder if I should set up a live feed for good entertainment?

The woman visiting the next door bed this afternoon refused twice to move for me whilst I was hobbling from my chair to a commode to go to the loo (another wee).  Eventually she did, I am afraid, get the rough side of my tongue, but that was a watse of time - what a wholly ignorant person she is.

I have, on the other hand, been overwhelmed by the kindness and thoughtfulness of so many people and groups I have been part of over the years.  It would be wrong of me to single any one of them out but you know who are and how much your kindness is appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.